Pacing and goal setting are important parts of management for people with persistent pain. Here is a recent and very detailed overview of pacing from the National Health Service in the UK.
Why set a pace?
- Is a technique for managing persistent pain that often involves taking a break before you need to.
- May reduce the severity and duration of flare-ups.
- Can help with feelings of frustration and low mood through repeated pain flare-ups.
- May reduce the risk of medication overuse and adverse effects from this.
- Enables activities that have been reduced because of pain to be started up again.
- Reduces the risk of losing physical condition.
Read more about Pacing and Goal Setting.